On the outskirts of the pretty village of Gatehouse of Fleet on the Solway coast, the Cally Palace, set within grounds of over a hundred and fifty acres, has been under the ownership of the McMillan family since 1981. Entering through the oak doors, the grandeur of the interior is immediately apparent. Two huge marble pillars frame the entrance hall, which leads into the Bow Lounge with its magnificent gilt cupola ceiling. The warmth of the Scottish welcome will impress as much as the opulence of the surroundings.
The Cally Palace dates back to 1763, when James Murray, owner of the Cally Estate, chose the superb setting overlooking the Galloway hills to build his country mansion. Sympathetic renovations and refurbishment under the personal supervision of the McMillan family have restored the Cally to its former glory, allowing guests to enjoy the ambience of a bygone age. All 56 comfortable ensuite bedrooms and suites have been furnished in a traditional style, but with all modern conveniences including satellite television.
In the Main House, the bedrooms range from standard through superior and deluxe to suites. All are individually designed and decorated, and each has its own character and charm. The Forest Wing also has a wide range of accommodation, from standard to large and family sized rooms. Many have balconies and most have superb views over the grounds, lake and golf course.